The 34th Annual Santa Claus Parade takes place on Saturday, November 29, 2008 in downtown Brantford.
Two of JCI Brantford's current Senators (Syd Bolton, Paul Oddi) share a moment with two former members who are also senators - Bill Jones and David Boyle. Jones and Boyle attended the January 10th dinner meeting where awards were handed out to the Santa Claus Parade winners. Everyone remembered their number, so no forced drinks were purchased.
- Best Overall Entry - Micki's Dance Connection
- Most Enthusiastic - Wilfrid Laurier University
- Best Elementary School - Bellview Joseph Brant
- Best High or Post Secondary School - Mohawk College
- Best Theme - Talk of the Town Productions
- Most Original Float - Brantford Engineering & Construction
- Best Service Club - Brant-Lyn Optimist Club
In order to qualify, a member must attend JCI Prime (soon to be replaced with JCI Presenter & JCI Trainer) and conduct a minimum of 25 hours of JCI specific training.
Bolton has been working on this since 2002. "It was a lot harder than I expected to get 25 hours of JCI training. I found it easier to do training outside of the organization, but it really helps motivate you to help out your fellow members" he commented. "I'm happy to receive this designation and will now work on getting my CNT (Certified National Trainer) status."
Oddi and Bolton have both been members of the Brantford chapter for roughly 10 years and were President in 2000 and 2001 respectively. They have also both continued to be active members in the organization, contributing to a variety of projects.
Pictured here (from left to right) are JCI Senators Ken McNamee, Matt Hutcheon, Syd Bolton, Ralph Machon, Blaine Field, Ron Underwood, Paul Oddi and Jim Elliott. Photograph by Ross Forsyth.
Article that appeared in the June 27, 2007 Expositor:
Pictured in photo (from left to right): John Fleming, Michelle Prest, Chaela Dawson, Amanda Saville, Jessica Sullivan.
Photography by Ross Forsyth
Planning has already begun for this huge event and if you would like to learn more, check out the project page for more information.
Over 200 people were in attendance, and the following JCI Members received awards as follows:
- Brenda Curtis 2 year youth award
- Michelle Miller 5 year service
- Paul Oddi 5 year service
- Syd Bolton 5 year service
- Rick Sopko 10 year service
- Jim Elliott (not present) 10 year service
- Tony Leone 15 year service
15 members watched a presentation at Wilfrid Laurier Brantford in the Odeon building as Bolton fielded questions and accepted feedback. The meeting was almost 2.5 hours.